If you are into skincare, chances are high that you have read many benefits of AHA-based products. AHA is the short for alpha hydroxy acid. For the unversed, alpha hydroxy acids are naturally-occurring acids that are known to have skincare benefits, like exfoliation and rejuvenation. Malic acid that is found in apples is an example of alpha hydroxy acid. AHAs are known to be great for removing dead skin cells and treating skin issues like minor sun damage and acne. In this post, we are discussing the basics of AHA peeling.
Knowing AHA peels
There are three categories of chemical peels – superficial, medium, and deep. AHA peels belong to the first category. Most products in this category contain a bunch of acids in very low concentrations, instead of one acid in high concentration. AHA peels work on the top layer of the skin, called the epidermis. In fact, AHA peels actually work on the keratin layer.
Why consider AHA peeling?
AHA peels are meant for skin exfoliation in a gentle manner. You can expect to get rid of dead skin cells, although the ‘peeling’ that happens with AHA products is not visible to the naked eyes. Beyond exfoliation, AHA peeling is great for getting smooth skin tone and boosting the production of collagen. While AHA peels are not that great for deeps-scar and wrinkles, these can take care of sun-induced damage and fine lines. AHAs also shrink the appearance of large pores and are great for acne-prone skin.
Precautions to follow
- Do not select a brand that you don’t know much about. When it comes to chemical peels, AHAs or otherwise, go for a brand you can trust. For better deals and discounts, check online stores.
- Always check the recommended instructions for usage. In general, do not use a chemical peel for more than 10 minutes, especially if you are just starting out.
- Don’t over-prep the skin. Just use a nice, gentle cleanser to clean your face, and pat dry. Use your AHA peel as recommended, and wash off with lukewarm water.
- Do not use any harsh products on your skin for at least 24 to 48 hours. Also, we recommend that you use a sunscreen.
- As with any skincare product, always do a patch test with your AHA peel before application.
Expect to see an immediate difference in your overall skin appearance after using an AHA peel.